Saturday, June 5, 2010

I got to meet a friend today----

The day started off overcast and fairly cool. Arrived around 8am and Doug Kasner was already at the display yard having a spot of tea, as is his norm. Around 8:30 Leon Daitz arrived and announced that I, me, had a visitor.
It turned out that my visitor and I have been online friends for a couple of years. Richard Glueck from Maine-formerly of Long Island, was up in Westchester visiting some people and decided to stop on by for a visit. Boy, was I glad to finally meet him in person. He and I walked the entire yard, going over the equipment and I brought him & his wife over to the preview center to see how we have  grown.
A brief walk down the street to the historic train station to show it off as well and we returned to the yard.
All the while I was showing off the museum, Doug, Leon , Steve Rothaug, "little" John Grocki and Michael Okunewitch, were hard at work needle scaling the pilot truck frame and polishing a pair of side rods as per the directives from our locomotive contractor.
For those of you who don't know what needle scaling is, imagine a screw gun in shape, with about 2 dozen fingers sticking out of the end of the barrel. Press the trigger and those fingers all move in an out and in pattern which blasts the paint, rust and scale off of the metal.
I imagine that we will go through 2 sets of fingers during the paint removal on the pilot and tender truck frames. I also think we will go through 4 sets of fingers on the locomotive frame. I believe that we will use up 3 guns in total. Not the fingers, but the actual guns themselves
Next week, we finish what was started today and we will begin the paint and rust removal on the turntable motor frame assembly.
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment