Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Whats Going on!

Today started out like any other Saturday would. Except, today is Tuesday and this is no ordinary day.

After putting in a full and successful Saturday at the display yard installing the turntables overhead arch assembly, I took Sunday off. Monday I was back up in Oyster Bay for our OBRM book signing with Heather Worthington, who is the author of the children’s book: Miles of Smiles-the story of Roxey the LIRR dog.
I had worked a full day and went home to pick up my dog Roxey for the night out in Oyster Bay where she made many new friends as Heather read her book, talked about how the book & story went together and then signed copies for most in attendance. I myself bought 2 books.
OBRM friend David Morrison was on hand to speak as well and Heather brought her story board that fascinated me on the historical aspect of her book. I just love photos and history!
Photobucket
Photobucket
After a short ride home and a (an ok nights) good night’s sleep, I was awake before the 6:30 alarm went off.
I arrived at the yard around 7:45 and was waiting for the crane when a call from one of our volunteers, Mike Efthymiou, came in. Mike works for the LIRR and was on site when our rigger showed up to pick up the M1 simulator that the LIRR was donating to our museum. Back in the early 1970’s, the LIRR was working to upgrade the electric passenger fleet after almost 50 years of continuous service and were busy introducing a new modern fleet called M1’s. These electric engines were clean, sleek, and fast and had heat and air conditioning. Everybody loved them. This simulator was used by the LIRR to train their engineers.
Now that he LIRR has no more M1’s on their roster, this simulator and another (diesel) simulator were available for donation to us. Since we have all steam & diesel equipment on site, we felt that this electric unit would fill out our roster and the diesel went to the Railroad Museum of L.I. (RMLI) out in Riverhead.

The simulator showed up around 10am and we were still waiting for the crane when the crew informed me that a forklift would be used instead.
Photobucket
When the other crew arrived, the simulator was readied for removal and the trailer that was holding it was backed into place for the lift. A little while later the unit was on the forklift and the trailer was pulled away.
Photobucket
Photobucket
The crew brought the unit onto our yard and began placing it at the front end of the property right across from our World’s Fair diesel cab.
Photobucket
As they were ready to straighten it out and set it down, I realized that we should leave the unit on a slight angle so it looks like the M1 simulator and the Diesel cab were looking at each other.
Photobucket
We finished up around 11:30 and I took one last photo of the finished product and went home in order to go to work.
Photobucket


Steve & Doug at Fifth Industrial Corp of Bohemia coordinated with me and the LIRR for this arrival and I can’t thank them enough for making this easy. The men on the rigging crew also have to be thanked for taking very good care of our new acquisition.
Photobucket

Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment